Coming from the tropics, I used to dread cold winter days. Over the years, I have learned to embrace them. This morning when I woke-up, there was a dust of snow in my garden. It was just beautiful and soothing at the same time. You can barely hear the birds singing, it’s just blissfully peaceful and relaxing.
Curled-up in my blanket, with a bowl of warm and comforting soup, I can spend hours watching the time go by.
So if you’re feeling cold and dare I say a bit under the weather, I have the perfect winter warmer: broccoli soup topped with chorizo and camembert.
Ingredients: this soup will serve 4 people
- One bag of frozen broccoli (1 kg bag) or you can use fresh as well ( a stock cube, I am not a big fan of stock cube, so I always freeze left over gravy, so I tend to use that instead, but use stock cube if you haven’t got any leftover gravy).
- Two potatoes peeled and chopped
- Camembert (you will need two slices of camembert for each bowl)
- Chorizo ( you will need 4 slices of chorizo per bowl)
- A bit of salt and pepper, not too much salt as you already have some in your stock
In a cooking pot, poor your bag of broccoli and sliced potatoes and cover with water. Bring everything to the boil and then add your stock, salt and pepper and stir. Let everything boil until the potatoes are cooked, (this should take around 10 minutes). Using a hand mixer, blend everything until you have a smooth consistency with no bits of broccoli or potatoes. Pour your soup into individual bowls. Add 4 slices of chorizo on top and then your two slices of camembert. Put your bowls under the grill until the camembert has melted.
So here you have it, my perfect winter warmer: broccoli soup topped with chorizo and camembert
Serve with a delicious slice of sourdough. You can get delicious sourdough at Burwash Larder, Stir Cambridge, Balzano’s, just to name a few.
P.S: if you are vegetarian, you can take out the chorizo and use only the camembert with a veggie stock cube, it is delicious too.